Baylor moves to dismiss Title IX lawsuit alleging 52 rapes by 31 football players
March 28, 2017
Baylor University on Tuesday moved to dismiss the lawsuit of an alleged gang rape victim who claims the school’s football program had “the most widespread culture of sexual violence and abuse of women ever in a collegiate athletic program.”
In a response to the Title IX lawsuit filed in January, Baylor said the plaintiff’s allegations are barred by a two-year statute of limitations.
The plaintiff’s Title IX claim also fails because her allegations do not rise to the level of “deliberate indifference,” according to the university’s filing.
The former student, who filed the suit under a pseudonym, said she is the victim of an alleged 2013 gang rape committed by then-football players Tre’Von Armstead and Shamycheal “Myke” Chatman.
Armstead and Chatman were both arrested last week and have been indicted.
The university also pushed back on the suit’s claims alleging a widespread culture of sexual violence including 52 rapes committed by 31 football players between 2011 and 2014. The suit also states that members of a female hostess program called the Baylor Bruins were expected to have sex with potential recruits of the football program.